Rooftop Fire Breaks Out at Safeguard Self Storage

Posted by Modern Storage Media on May 6, 2024 8:05:37 AM

A fire broke out on the roof of the fourth floor of a Safeguard Self Storage facility in Plainview, New York Saturday afternoon. Nassau County police are investigating, but have said that the fire was not considered suspicious. They did note that work was being done last week to solar panels on the roof of the facility, located at 1522 Old Country Road, although whether that is related to the fire is unknown.


The Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office, Nassau County Office of Emergency Management, Nassau County Police Arson/Bomb Squad and the Town of Oyster Bay building inspector all responded to the scene. Firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze until late into the afternoon, reporting that there was substantial damage to the building. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.


By Sunday afternoon, the entrance of the self-storage facility was blocked with yellow tape and cones. A large truck and other vehicles from Servpro, a cleanup and restoration company, were parked in front of the facility as workers walked in and out with brooms, garbage bags, and boxes.



Employees at the facility declined to comment to media outlets, however Plainview resident Bob Nevitt, who is a tenant at the facility, stopped by the site Sunday afternoon to check on his storage unit. He was told the roof sustained damage and there was some water damage from the sprinkler system activating due to the fire.

“An [employee] did say it’s likely that the stuff on the floor was damaged," he told NewsDay.


Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.00.23 AMThe Plainview Safeguard Self Storage facility features electronic gate access, a loading dock and elevator, security cameras, and 24-hour access for business users. The property offers tenant insurance and also accepts homeowners and renters insurance.